Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first cast!!!

Go down

My first cast!!! Empty My first cast!!!

Post  Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:01 pm

I did it!! I actually did it!
My first cast!!! Picture292Small
My first cast!!! Picture293Small
My first cast!!! Picture295Small
Okay, it looks awfull but I was finally able to cast something. This was my second attempt at a cast. The first one, I had an issue with getting the resin into the mold and only got a small amount of plastic in the bottom of the mold. This one was more successfull. That HUGE hole is where i held the syringe too close to the mold in order to make sure the resin went in. That abysmal seamline, I assume is due to the uneven mold i used. It wasnt a perfect repoduction but Im still happy with how it came out.
I knew my first attempts would be pretty bad so thats why I chose a samurai helmet.

Need to make a new mold. Is there any type of plasticine or clay i need to use for imbedding the part? I followed the instructions to the letter and still had issues seperating the two from each other!

Back to top Go down

My first cast!!! Empty Re: My first cast!!!

Post  Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:07 pm

I would need to see your set up to give too many suggestions, but a learning experience is never a failure. Might I suggest using a one part mold rather than a two part mold. Much easier, smaller seams, and less waste.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Actually its not too terrible, I know it looks rough, but you're learning, and like Asphalt said, any learning experience is not a failure. Definitely a workable piece. congrats on your first cast!

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadRock Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:49 am

I would do a one part part split glove mold. you wont need any clay, and if you need a pic of what I am talking about, or even a mold to practice on, I can send ya one.

Molding can be very difficult to master, but once you have it, nothing you cant reproduce. Cast and mold work is something every customize should learn.

Great work.
DeadRock
DeadRock
Admin

http://www.deadrock2012.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:43 pm

DeadRock wrote:I would do a one part part split glove mold. you wont need any clay, and if you need a pic of what I am talking about, or even a mold to practice on, I can send ya one.

Molding can be very difficult to master, but once you have it, nothing you cant reproduce. Cast and mold work is something every customize should learn.

Great work.

One part split glove mold? How would a one part mold work? Many of the things I'm casting and others on here are parts with deep undercuts such as WOW heads and weapons. Getting said part and cast sounds difficult because of this. Any chance I could get a pic. Thanks for the practice mold offer, but I really want to learn this myself.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm

If I could get to the joe customs wiki I would post the link of my tutorial over there. Someone remind me to do that tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am

http://wiki.joecustoms.com/wiki/Creating_an_Envelop_Mold

It appears I never wrote the part about taking the pieces out of the mold. Probably because it takes two hands to cut and two hands to use the camera. Stupid evolution, give me 4 arms now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks Asphalt, that helps loads. I'm curious to know what your casting there... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:41 pm

It is a custom Joe scale backpack. But this is the process I use for all of my molds, no matter their size or shape.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Ah, the green ball joints threw me off. Looks like a whole new torso.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:36 pm

It was for the jungle viper. He had a mechanical guile suit camouflage kinda thing. Really cool accessory.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down